Finishes

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Froggy goes to the frame shop

I pulled into the parking lot of Michaels this past Sunday and saw the 60% off of custom framing sign hanging outside the store. Just by chance I had the frog xs piece (see prior post) with me. Lucky me!

I had in mind a simple framing with perhaps a metallic frame in green. I rang the bell to get the clerk's attention from the back of the frame shop. I told her I'd like to have it framed in a green metallic frame as I pulled two slender white pieces of paper on the table under my piece. I hate to have the fabric colors dulled by dark gray granite table tops showing through the xs fabric as I'm trying to match mat colors. I use a white underlining of some sort just so the colors will be true. She said, as she removed the white papers and restacked them, "Of course you'll get mats." She reached for the mat corners. I told her I didn't want it matted. She said that I had to get it matted "because it makes it easier for us to frame." Astonished, I replied, "So you're telling me I have to get something I don't want just to make it easier for you." She conceded that I didn't have to get it matted. Gee whiz!!! This particular Michaels did a poor job in framing when it was the location of an MJ Designs (remember them?!). Must be something in the air because it's been years and are not the same people anymore.

She never did show me a green metallic frame, but she did show me other green frames and a nice gold/red frame that will look nice with it so I ordered that one. I'm almost afraid to bring in my Little House Needleworks "Americana Sampling" for framing that I finished the other night. The frog had better be finished with wire and not one of those darn sawtooth hangers!!! I detest sawtooth hangers.

No comments: