Finishes

Sunday, August 12, 2007

A surprise finish

I saw a tote bag I hadn't looked in for a while and found an almost finished piece by Cherished Stitches. It was supposed to be the tape measure cover but the tape measure it's supposed to fit doesn't exist any longer. Apparently it was taken off the market at about the same time the design was released. Although I suppose "things happen" I'm not pleased that I spent my time stitching something pretty for a clever idea that can't be completed. I started sewing it together with the idea of making it into a scissor fob, but stopped over a year ago with the stuffing to add and one inch left to sew closed. When I found it again today I decided it would be better to use it as a pin cushion. I liked the idea of stabbing this failure with pins! :)

Ten minutes later I have this cute pin cushion:
Cherished Stitches A Sentimental Tape Measure Cover front

Cherished Stitches A Sentimental Tape Measure Cover back Best of all I think I like it again.

However, I won't be purchasing any more designs by Cherished Stitches. Although I like the designs a lot, this one didn't work as designed and a friend bought another chart, it was missing a page, and after being assured the page was in the mail she STILL hasn't received the missing page. I don't need the headache, especially when there's so much else to stitch.

I picked up my entries from the nearby county fair today and a little check for premiums! My Mill Hill Midnight Silo entered in the Home Arts Department theme competition "silo" won 4th place. My Shepherd's Bush (SB) Bunny's Fill, SB "L" is for Lamb, and Heart in Hand (HIH) whimsey's all done on one piece of fabric all took 2nd place. WAHOOOOO!!!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to the fair while it was on and didn't see the competition. I like to see the other entries because I always get an idea for something to stitch or how to frame or finish.

I have some things entered in my county's fair, too! I finished a needlepoint bracelet by Dimensions in May while at the beach this spring. I entered it, two pieces by Bent Creek (Here Comes the Sun and Bad Moon Rising) as a pair, a punchneedle farm design, and SB My Heart's Garden. I'll be volunteering as a cross stitch demonstrator on Thursday and Friday so I'll find out then how I did. I was judging another department on Saturday and wandered by after judging was long over, but the designs weren't displayed so I couldn't see my items much less see how they did. Patience is a virtue......

No comments: