Finishes

Friday, August 28, 2009

Entering the fairs

I so totally love entering stitched items in the fairs. The feeling of participation in the community, the fun of competition, anticipation of awards won, and hopefully cashing a check for premiums! I enjoy seeing how a piece does in different locations with different judges. Since I judge photography and baked goods I feel I can trash talk judges!

So far my favorite comment was on a Pine Mountain pillow wrap and their pillow that goes with it. The judges commented that the stitching was nice on the wrap, but the pillow with its serged edges on the outside and thread-tails was "poorly done". End result? 4th place out of 4 so maybe it was a pity placing. LOL I guess this group of judges isn't familar with Pine Mountain. I still like my pillow and now it's at the state fair....go pillow!! At least the state fair is judged by people deeply into cross stitch and other needlework. I may not agree with their decision, but I respect that they had good reasons.

My favorite thing in the fair is a little bee scissor fob that I attached to kids scissors that look like a bee. It's entered in bee arts and crafts and I try to have something to enter at least every other year. It'll be at least a week before I can get up to the fair to see how I did. And I said I enjoyed the anticipation??? Aargghhh! LOL

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I really enjoy entering the fairs around here. Sometimes I wonder about the judging, though. I suspect that they may be lured in by how big or how sparkly a piece is rather than judging it on the actual stitching skills involved!

Best of luck with your state fair entry!!

Meadows08 said...

Good luck with your entry in the fair. It would be lovely to see some pictures of your pieces!

Tammy said...

Too bad they judged your pillow on the Pine Mountain thing! I'd love to see some pics!