Finishes

Monday, May 28, 2007

Series I'm thinking hard about signing up to do

I don't do much needlepoint; mostly because I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be in selecting stitches to fit into the design or in choosing the fibers. (Now if this were cross stitch I wouldn't forsee a problem.)

I recently "discovered" the needlepoint designer Melissa Shirley. She designed a Halloween town I really like. I don't believe she made a stitch guide for the designs (nuts!). That's why I'm thinking long and hard about signing up for this monthly subscription with Chandail http://www.chandailneedlework.com/series/halloween_village_needlepoint_series.php

It's pricey, but not really. What I like is that the kits include the canvas for a shop and a costumed person, the fibers and a stitch guide!!! Maybe I just need to not buy any new cross stitch (except for the series I've already started collecting) and use that money for the Chandail kits. Can I do that for a year?? Do I really want to?? Would I really stitch them?? Is that really a factor?? LOL

Back to thinking on it.......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I now have your blog on my Google Reader.

Yes, the La Jolla shop sent the stitch guide the next day. I just wish they had said they were shipping it separately. I glanced at it when I got it, because I know I won't get to any of these projects until Project Spectrum is over in September, but haven't studied it . I am in Maui right now (and the guide is in Nevada). I can tell you more about it when I get back there on June 7.

What I remember about it is:
-- I've seen these Halloweentown houses completed by a really good needlepointer. Her houses used different stitches than the guide. I especially liked the windows on the models better than the stitch guide. She just used blending filament to half cross parts of the window leaving the canvas showing through. It looked more like a window than stitching over all.
-- I have been needlepointing for many years, so although I will use the guide as a reference, I'm sure I will choose my own threads and stitches in some cases.

I'm glad I got the stitch guide. It will encourage me to actually stitch these canvases rather than just drooling over them in my stash.