Finishes

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Poem

I saw this on a SAL blog, but had to keep it where I could find it. Such a nice poem for stitchers:

The Sampler
by Lynda D. Prouse

Rummaging around a junk shop
One lazy summer day,
I stumbled across a treasure
And bought it right away.
It was a delicate piece of embroidery,
Called a "sampler" long ago,
Made by a young seamstress
While learning how to sew.
Though the edges were worn and faded,
The tiny stitches remained intact,
Each one vividly portraying
A pictorial of interesting fact.
It showed her house and garden,
A delightful scene from yesterday,
Birds flew across the fabric
All stitched in a magical way.
Flowers sprouted around the borders
In rows of sparkling hues.
And in the bottom left-hand corner
Was the date of 1882.
I took in all its features
With eager and appreciative eyes
And couldn't believe my good luck
At discovering this wondrous prize.
It was like gazing through a window
To a place I imagined to be,
A simpler time to live in----
Just right for a dreamer like me.

No comments: