Finishes

Friday, June 21, 2013

Crocheting a diagonal baby afghan

For years I've used a folklore pattern as I call it (one that's been passed down verbally from crocheter to crocheter) to make quick diagonal baby blankets that start with one simple double crochet shell and increases with each row.  When you reach the halfway point, you start decreasing. 

So.  I started a pretty baby blanket with Red Heart's Gumdrop in orange.  It was increasing splendidly and I was very pleased.  Last night I was ready to start the decrease row on my blanket and......blank.  Nothing.  Nada.   Now that I'm aging (and not really that old AT ALL!!) I find I'm forgetting things like that.  I tried a few things with terrible results.  I considered making a matching triangle and sewing the two together in the center, but vetoed that idea.  I looked up the mom-to-be's registry online for ideas, but I still like the crocheted baby blanket idea.  Finally, I was able to find a close proximity to the pattern I use.  Who knew?!?!?  It wasn't a folklore pattern after all!  We can thank Bernat for this pattern.  It even has a name: Corner to Corner Afghan. 

The site I found this pattern on is here and has many more things crocheted on the diagonal.  I'm going to enjoy checking them out!

No comments: