Finishes

Monday, March 9, 2009

Observations on the Woodlawn Exhibit

I didn't make it upstairs again - that staircase is trecherous! Maybe next year.

I entered three items that were well displayed and all in the first room. No award winners, but it just makes me want to try harder for next year. I noticed that most of the award winners were stitched "over one". The best in show was one of the early Lavender & Lace angels (winter??) and it was done over one thread. Awesome! Needless to say all the stitches were perfect, but I wonder if it would take all the joy of stitching out of it to be that precise.

The tea room had some of Martha Washington's Ginger Cookies for sale. I believe these are from the same recipe before they changed the last room on the first floor into the tea room. They were in a tin bucket on the mantel! They were good, but not as good as I remember. I believe the cookie I really liked was a molasses cookie rather than a ginger cookie.

I made the mandatory (and highly anticipated) stop at In Stitches needlecraft shop which is north on Rt. 1 and right at the McDonalds. I like that they open on Sundays throughout the exhibition. This shop is an extended lunch hour away from where I work, but I hadn't been in a very long time. It was great to see everyone and pick up some things from my list as well as some new things. I didn't see anything at Woodlawn that I really wanted to stitch (that I didn't already own!!) so I didn't need their help in finding anything. In past years, they've pointed me to the charts of items displayed at Woodlawn.

Then we picked up lunch and parked at Gravelly Point to eat and watch the airplanes take off and land at National Airport. It was a beautiful day.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I did go to In Stitches yesterday, but have not seen Woodlawn this year. I do go every other year though! I"m not a one over one gal-but I do love seeing them done. Seems like last year there were alot of men who won--I remember this giant sampler when first go in-it was amazing. And yes the stairs are treacherous, but I brave them to see the fun stuff!